[INDOLOGY] help with text in an 1800s rāgamālā image

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 07:11:58 UTC 2024

Dear Friends,

I'm struggling to transliterate some of the text in this image
<https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/An-illustration-from-an-unusual-Ragamala/7D09CB055FEC7BC7>,
which appears linked to the Śrī rāga. Though the Naṭa putra rāga is
apparently assigned to the Megha rāga.

If some kind soul has the time and inclination to help, then I would surely
appreciate it. It is only a few words. I'm guessing the language is a form
of Rajasthani, or Marathi or Dekkani? The auction site at which the image
is located has very little detail, except to say that is from the 1800s. It
is interesting, to me, at least, due to the unusual practice of naming the
performers of these various acts. Personally, I quite like the
anti-gravitational necklace on the female pole dancer.

[image: image.png]

1.
rāgā-śrī-naṭachai

2.

?? mahtraś(ra?)ūragnī-kare-chai / ?? gamaghtraśūtragatīchrai - kare -

The instruments used by the 'wrestler' are mentioned in similar artwork as:

mugdar -  a mace/club used in physical exercise

 nāla - heavy stone-ring used in weight-lifting exercises

3.

male pole dancer/wrestler-acrobat

4.

 दासी - dāsī - female dancer with parasol

5.

nāṭachaiṃ - drummer

6.

nāṭaka-līṃ / -ṇīṃ - female pole dancer

Thank you.

All the best,

Patrick McCartney, PhD
Phoenix Fellow 2023–26, HIroshima University, Japan
ISRF Fellow 2022–23 - Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Research Associate - Nanzan University Anthropological Institute, Nagoya,
Japan
Visiting Fellow - South and South-east Asian Studies Department, Australian
National University

Skype / Zoom - psdmccartney
Phone + Whatsapp + Line:  +61410644259
Twitter - @psdmccartney @yogascapesinjap