[INDOLOGY] paścāccharīra and synonyms for back(bone)

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 10 23:32:10 UTC 2024

Dear Walter,

Thanks a lot for setting me straight on kaseru.

My question remains about paścāccharīra and elephants. (I withdraw the addition 'cows'.) Who can help?

I clarify that the background of my question is to help my student Zakariya Aminullah, who is not on this list, in his work on editing a Sanskrit-Old Javanese lexicon. It contains an entry provisionally edited thus:

362 Synonyms of Back

paścātkarīya, pr̥ṣṭhā⟨sthi⟩, pr̥ṣṭhya, kaśeru, ṅa valakaṅ.

The first term is problematic, ṅa means iti, and the last term is the Old Javanese gloss.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths