[INDOLOGY] the debacle at Harvard

Robert P. GOLDMAN rpg at berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 5 19:06:23 UTC 2024

Dear Matthew,

Thanks for your message. A letter to the Provost is, I think, exactly what we should do.  (I am working on mine right now) I had suggested it yesterday on Indology. Frankly, it is about all we can do but we should stress that if this situation is not investigated and remedied it will be become a serious academic scandal for Veritas.com <http://veritas.com/>   in that that the head of the project may well have been pressured by donors and others  connected with right wing groups to undermine one of the most significant ongoing humanistic publication series on South Asia of our generation.

Best,

Bob.
Dr. R.P. Goldman
William and Catherine Magistretti Professor of Sanskrit Emeritus
and
Professor in the Graduate School
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540