[INDOLOGY] metrical melodies

Matthew Kapstein mattkapstein at proton.me
Mon Mar 4 18:18:35 UTC 2024

I don’t imagine that the melodies can be definitely dated, unless approximate indications are found in the Sanskrit musicological literature. The melody to which MS Subbalakshmi famously chanted the
विष्णुसहस्रनामस्तोत्रम् is reputed to be very ancient. I imagine that some other chant melodies are as well..
I don’t know if the considerable ethnomusicological work on India has extended to these types of chant. I’d be interested if anyone knows of such resources. I recently read an interesting summary of work on an early form of Christian litugical chant, that argued for its predating by some five centuries, the earliest transcriptions.

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein, EPHE, Paris