[INDOLOGY] metrical melodies

Reich, James David jreich at pace.edu
Mon Mar 4 17:01:43 UTC 2024

Dear colleagues,

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any resources related to the history of the simple melodies that are attached to various Sanskrit and Prakrit meters. Is anything known about this? Do we know how old the melodies are, or when or how they originated, or how they have changed over the centuries? Secondary material would be particularly helpful, but if there is any primary material that would be helpful as well. Or simply if anyone knows anything about this or has any thoughts on it, I would be very curious.

Thanks very much,
James Reich