[INDOLOGY] Publications on Nepal

Michaels, Prof. Dr. Axel michaels at hcts.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Mar 2 10:14:57 UTC 2024

Dear all,

I am delighted to inform you about three recent Open Access re-publications on Newar Life-cycle rituals including detailed films by Christan Bau at Heidelberg Asian Studies Publishing (HASP). The books were originally published in the Ethno-Indology Series by Harrassowitz Publ., Wiesbaden.

  1.  Getting Married: Hindu and Buddhist Marriage Rituals among the Newars of Bhaktapur and Patan, Nepal, by Niels Gutschow and Axel Michaels. DOI https://doi.org/10.11588/hasp.1318.
  2.  Growing Up: Hindu and Buddhist Initiation Rituals among Newar Children in Bhaktapur, Nepal, by Niels Gutschow and Axel Michaels. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11588/hasp.1313.
  3.  Handling Death: The Dynamics of Death and Ancestor Rituals Among the Newars of Bhaktapur, Nepal, by Niels Gutschow and Axel Michaels. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11588/hasp.1256.

All there volumes that are still available in print deal with Hindu and Buddhist lifecycle rituals among the Newars in the ancient city of Bhaktapur, Nepal.They combine extensive fieldwork with the editing and translation of relevant ritual manuals. The research was carried out under the auspices of the Collaborative Research Centre “Dynamics of Ritual.”

I also take the opportunity to refer to my most recent book publication
[signature_3070724961]

Nepal—A History from the Earliest Times to the Present. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2024:
Best regards,
Axel / Michaels

Prof. Dr. Axel Michaels
Seniorprofessor - Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums der Josefine und Eduard von Portheim-Stiftung für Wissenschaft und Kunst

Centre for Asian and Transcultural Studies (CATS) / Südasien-Institut der Universität Heidelberg
Vossstr. 2, Geb. 4130 • D-69115 Heidelberg • Tel. +49-6221-5415209
Email michaels at hcts.uni-heidelberg.de<mailto:michaels at hcts.uni-heidelberg.de>
Websites  https://www.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/krs/abteilung/michaels.htmlhttps://www.hadw-bw.de/forschung/forschungsstelle/religions-und-rechtsgeschichtliche-quellen-des-vormodernen-nepalhttps://www.hadw-bw.de/en/research/research-center/nepal-heritage-documentation-project-nhdp