[INDOLOGY] Gentle reminder: abstracts for the conference Madhyamaka in South Asia and Beyond

Ge Ge gemmme1128 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 15:12:06 UTC 2024

Dear list members,

On behalf of Dr. Anne MacDonald, I am pleased to share a gentle reminder with you. The abstract submission deadline for the conference Madhyamaka in South Asia and Beyond is February 1, 2024.

Please see below for more details and a separate PDF file in the attachment.

Best regards,
Ge Ge

--------------------
Dear Colleagues,
We would like to kindly remind you that abstracts for the conference Madhyamaka in South Asia and Beyond are due on February 1, 2024.

Please limit abstracts to 500 words. All presentations will be 20 minutes in length, followed by a 10-minute discussion period.

You may upload your abstracts at:

https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/ikga/madhyamaka-in-south-asia-and-beyond

Please be sure to fill out each of the three fields marked with an asterisk before uploading the abstract. You will be sent aconfirmation email.

We will notify you about acceptance of your abstract in early February.

Schedule

February 1, 2024         Deadline for submission of abstracts

May 1, 2024                Third Circular

August 18–22, 2024   Conference

Accommodation

A list of hotels near the conference venue, some offering discounts for conference participants, has been posted on the conference web-page under “Resources.”

Academic Committee

·      Anne MacDonald
·      Akira Saito
·      Dorji Wangchuk
·      Jan Westerhoff

Organizing Committee

·      Pei-Lin Chiou
·      Thomas Kintaert
·      Anne MacDonald
·      Alexandra Wedekind

Please direct all communication pertaining to the conference to the organizer:

Dr. Anne MacDonald (madhyamaka2024 at gmail.com <mailto:madhyamaka2024 at gmail.com>)
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Georg-Coch-Platz 2
1010 Vienna, Austria
Postal address: Dr. Ignaz-Seipel-Platz 2, 1010 Vienna, Austria
https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/ikga/

From the First Circular:

Scholarly engagement with the Madhyamaka tradition has greatly intensified in recent decades, in part due to the discovery of Sanskrit manuscripts of seminal Indian Madhyamaka works as well as previously unavailable Tibetan scholastic treatises that chart the reception of pertinent Indian Buddhist doctrines. The flurry of publications resulting from philological and philosophical investigation of the texts significantly improves our comprehension of the views of the Madhyamaka authors, their self-understanding, and the reasons behind their responses to their intellectual environments. Nevertheless, many issues remain unsolved, and topics as fundamental as the Mādhyamikas’ final truth/reality continue to be debated.

The International Conference Madhyamaka in South Asia and Beyond will bring together scholars to present and discuss their research on all aspects of the Madhyamaka tradition from philological, historical and/or philosophical perspectives. We invite papers dealing with topics such as the school’s ontological views, its logical and epistemological theories and their sources and integration, its soteriology, historiography, evolution, and transmission, including interactions with other Buddhist and non-Buddhist schools and traditions. Papers from the broader intellectual landscape are also welcome.

Ge Ge
PhD student
Department of South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies
University of Vienna
Hof 2.1, Spitalgasse 2, 1090
Vienna, Austria