[INDOLOGY] SoFCB Roundtable on the “Material Turn” in Bibliography and Philology, Jan 19, 2024

Pranav Prakash pranavprakash12 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 19:00:53 UTC 2024

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to announce a virtual roundtable “*Book-Objects at the
Crossroads of Bibliography and Philology*” that will take place on *January
19, 2024* (9:00 PST / 12:00 EST / 17:00 GMT / 18:00 CET / 20:00 AST). This
event is supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Society of Fellows in Critical
Bibliography, Rare Book School, University of Virginia.

Our speakers will be *Theodore S. Beers* (Freie Universität Berlin), *Andrew
Hui* (Yale-NUS College), *Cat Lambert* (Cornell University), and *Nur
Sobers-Khan* (Saudi Museums Commission). Please register for the roundtable
using the following link: http://tinyurl.com/bdfmdefs.

The roundtable will discuss how the “material turn” in the humanities has
impacted the fields of bibliography and philology across the world. Insofar
as bibliography and philology both exhibit deep-seated interests in the
study of book-objects, how have these two disciplines been influenced by
the “material turn”? By reappraising the philosophical outlook and
transformative potential of the “material turn” in the humanities, we are
keen to interrogate the political and ethical possibilities of critical
inquiry in bibliography and philology.

Please find our program and poster as attachments to this message. We hope
that you will be able to join us for the roundtable and discussion. We
would appreciate your help in sharing the announcement with scholars and
students who may be interested.

Best wishes,

Jeremiah and Pranav

Jeremiah Coogan

Assistant Professor of New Testament, Jesuit School of Theology, Berkeley

Senior Mellon Fellow in Critical Bibliography, Rare Book School, University
of Virginia

Pranav Prakash
Junior Research Fellow, Christ Church, University of Oxford
Senior Mellon Fellow in Critical Bibliography, Rare Book School, University
of Virginia
Director of Studies for Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Christ Church,
University of Oxford
Website <http://www.pranav-prakash.com> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/pranav-prakash-570573167/> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/4PranavPrakash>