[INDOLOGY] Sarvatathāgatatattvasaṃgraha manuscript

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:22:57 UTC 2024

First, thank you to Ryan Conlon for finding the listing of this manuscript
that I could not find in the catalogue of the Nepalese-German Manuscript
Cataloging Project, and for providing a link to it. This is very helpful.

Next, as I suspected, there is only one old manuscript of the
*Sarvatathāgatatattvasaṃgraha*, not two. Daisy Cheung made this clear in an
off-list reply to me. Thank you to her for that. She then provided
additional information about it:

"For a new description of the Sanskrit MS of the STTS available see
Tanemura 2020: (75)ff.

Tamenura, Ryugen 種村隆元. 2020.
‘Saravatathāgatatattvasaṃgrahaの説くāveśa儀礼—金剛界大マンダラ章「成就が生じるための印に関する智」校訂テキストおよび和訳注—’.
智山学報 69: 71–97.

"Tanemura 2020 can be downloaded here:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/chisangakuho/69/0/69_0071/_pdf/-char/ja

It made no sense to me that there would be two very old manuscripts of this
text, both discovered independently in the same library, first by Tucci in
1932 and then by David Snellgrove and John Brough in 1956. That was one
reason for my inquiry, the other being a wish to obtain scans of this
manuscript. The description of this manuscript by Tucci as being in late
Gupta characters, and the description of this manuscript by Horiuchi as
being in Siddham characters, led de Jong in his review (cited in my opening
post) to assume two different manuscripts.

It is now clear that the manuscript reproduced in facsimile by Lokesh
Chandra and David Snellgrove in 1981 is the same as the manuscript that was
microfilmed by the Nepal-German Manuscript Preservation Project listed at
the link provided by Ryan Conlon. If no one has a scan of this manuscript,
now almost impossible to obtain from Kathmandu, or even a scan of the 1981
published facsimile of it, I will try to scan this facsimile and post it.

Thanks and best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.