[INDOLOGY] Śabdakalpadrumaḥ and Vācaspatyam

Buchta, David david_buchta at brown.edu
Mon Feb 26 19:38:11 UTC 2024

A delayed thank you to all who responded to my query about the Vācaspatyam
and the Śabdakalpataru. It was a pleasure learning a bit more about these
two scholars whose monumental works I have so long benefitted from.

I will note that the revision of the Śabdakalpadruma by Basu and Basu was
more extensive than I had imagined.

For the entry I was curious about, *kalikā*, the Vācaspatyam includes an
extensive block-quote from Baladeva Vidyābhūṣaṇa's commentary on Rūpa
Gosvāmin's *Stavamālā*. This quotation was not found in the original
Śabdakalpadruma, but was included in the revised edition. Basu and Basu
appear thus to have been directly influenced by the Vācaspatyam. But
elsewhere they quote from this commentary where the Vācaspatyam does not,
showing that they accessed it independently.

--
David Buchta, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit