[INDOLOGY] Sumitrā

John Brockington John.Brockington at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 23 16:01:25 UTC 2024

Dear Csaba,

I am sorry to have been so slow in responding to your query. Here is the
information available within Mary's Narrative elements folder within our
joint ORA material
<https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:8df9647a-8002-45ff-b37e-7effb669768b
<https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:8df9647a-8002-45ff-b37e-7effb669768b>
 > (apologies for the oddity of fornatting arising from a cut and paste
operation:

Sumitrā

/Karaṇī, Karaṇīsuta, //Kosakaliyaniy, Kramuda, Māgadhī, Samantra//,
Samut, Samouththevi, Sowen,//Sramut, Sumata, Sumathra, Sumida, Sumitta,
//Suprabhā, Thumitra/

daughter of king of Magadha: /PdP /(/Uttarakh./) 6,242.37

Kālidāsa, /Raghuvaṃśa/: Renou 1928: 9.22; Haksar 2016: 9.17

/    Ānanda Rm/: Nagar 2006: 1,1.71

not daughter of king of Magadha:
Abhinanda, /Rāmacarita/: Raghavan 1985: 60-61; 2017: 84-85

daughter of Sumitra, virtuous king of island of Siṃhala, who offers her
to Daśaratha

Assamese, Mādhavadeva: Nagar 2000: I, 18

Hopefully this is some help with your query.

Best wishes

John

Professor J.L. Brockington
113 Rutten Lane