[INDOLOGY] Frits Staal on the sameness of Vedic recitation

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 05:27:05 UTC 2024

So many interesting things come up on this list!

I did not know about the major Archives and Research Center for
Ethnomusicology at the American Institute of Indian Studies:
https://www.indiastudies.org/ethnomusicology/. Thank you Patrick Olivelle.

Yes, thanks J. M. Fritzman for the suggestion. It seems that eight years
ago Smithsonian Folkways Recordings put up on youtube all the individual
recitations from the LP The Four Vedas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uceRMF6ryJ0&list=OLAK5uy_lOC9OwVFSJpEfWJHIiqolcK-kWqPhvdHs&index=2
.

Very glad to know that the whole LP The Four Vedas has been digitized and
is available for download purchase:
https://folkways.si.edu/the-four-vedas/poetry-world/album/smithsonian, and
the necessary accompanying booklet can be downloaded free:
https://folkways-media.si.edu/docs/folkways/artwork/FW04126.pdf. Thank you
Finnian Moore-Gerety, and for referencing your important annotated
bibliography, Vedic Oral Tradition.

Likewise, very glad to know that the whole Daniélou recording has been
digitized and is available online. Thank you Matthew Kapstein. I did not
know that Archive.org had recordings such as this. I see that the necessary
accompanying 13-page liner notes can be downloaded from this page at the
link you gave:
https://ia904504.us.archive.org/18/items/lp_india-i-vedic-recitation-and-chant_alain-danilou/lp_india-i-vedic-recitation-and-chant_alain-danilou.pdf
.

Wonderful that recordings of Vedic recitations from 1904 are available.
Thank you Michael Witzel. It is surprising to me that any were allowed to