[INDOLOGY] Śabdakalpadrumaḥ and Vācaspatyam

Buchta, David david_buchta at brown.edu
Thu Feb 15 19:10:00 UTC 2024

Dear Colleagues,

Can anyone point me to the original publication dates of Rādhākāntadeva
Bāhādura's *Śabdakalpadrumaḥ* and Tārānātha Tarkavācaspati's *Vācaspatyam*.
>From what I can find Rādhākānta lived 1784-1867 (Śrī Wikipedia uvāca
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhakanta_Deb>), while Tārānātha lived
1812-1885 (Śrī Brian Hatcher uvāca <https://www.jstor.org/stable/3876590>).
The wonderful Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries website lists the dates
of publication as 1886 for the *Śabdakalpadruma* and 1873 for the
*Vācaspatyam.* But this seems to flip the sequence. And I found an article
<https://www.jstor.org/stable/25207458> R. Lenz from 1835 glorifying the
first three volumes of the Śabdakalpadruma.

Any help is appreciated, as is any broader scholarship on these two
momentous scholars.

Thanks,
Dave
--