[INDOLOGY] question about citing AIIS photographs

Elliot Stern emstern1948 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:41:53 UTC 2024

Dear Arlo,

Please refer to this page: https://www.indiastudies.org/art-archeology/. In one paragraph here, we read: "In total, CA&A houses more than 2,00,000 images of Indic art and architecture. Digital images from this collection are available for scholarly publications and an online presence is maintained at the Virtual Museum of Images and Sound <http://www.vmis.in/>s. An extensive collection of images from CA&A collection is also available at Artstor <http://www.artstor.org/content/american-institute-indian-studies> and the Digital South Asia Library <http://dsal.uchicago.edu/images/aiis/>.”  I don’t see any claim that use of the materials in scholarly publication is subject to copyright protection. If you need confirmation, you may contact:  Dr. Vandana Sinha, Director, at caa.archives at aiis.edu.in <mailto:caa.archives at aiis.edu.in>

Best wishes,

Elliot