[INDOLOGY] manuscripts at Sambalpur University

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 00:39:17 UTC 2024

Thanks for your reaction Asko.

Of course I was not intending to imply that the collection would be particularly relevant for Vedic studies. Its real wealth probably lies in other philological domains. That said, yes, indeed, the recurrence of Kāṇvasaṁhitā manuscripts is noteworthy. Besides those items, to the extent the listed titles are reflective of the actual contents of the manuscripts, there does seem to be a bit more for the Vedic scholar. In fact I had been thinking of you when noticing titles with 'Kauthuma', 'Sama Vediya', 'Sam Veda', 'Sam Vediaya'. To my knowledge, the Sāmavedic tradition of Orissa/Odisha has not been studied at all. The same can probably be said for most of the other textual traditions represented in this collection.

Best wishes,

Arlo