[INDOLOGY] Frits Staal on the sameness of Vedic recitation

Allen, Michael S (msa2b) msa2b at virginia.edu
Sun Feb 11 23:03:46 UTC 2024

Dear David,

I don't know about Frits Staal, but Michael Witzel at least has made the comparison of Vedic recitation to an audio recording: "The Vedic texts were orally composed and transmitted, without the use of script, in an unbroken line of transmission from teacher to student that was formalized early on. This ensured an impeccable textual transmission superior to the classical texts of other cultures; it is, in fact, something like a tape-recording of ca. 1500–500 BCE. Not just the actual words, but even the long-lost musical (tonal) accent (as in old Greek or in Japanese) has been preserved up to the present." Source: "Vedas and Upanishads," ch. 3 of The Blackwell Companion to Hinduism, ed. Gavin Flood, 2003, pp. 68-9.

Best wishes,
Michael

Michael S. Allen
Associate Professor and Interim Associate Chair
Department of Religious Studies
University of Virginia