[INDOLOGY] help with a word

Raffaele Torella raffaele.torella at uniroma1.it
Fri Apr 26 11:29:35 UTC 2024

I wish to thank colleagues for their valuable suggestions, sent both to the list and to me personally.

In fact, what first came to my mind was the emendation kṛśānu- (which still remains the best candidate...). However, contrary to a widespread practice, I am always very cautious in emending a transmitted reading. I believe that the main task of a philologist is not simply re-writing the transmitted text according to his expectation and intuition (both important, of course), but trying to understand how the alleged “mistake” has taken place. For this, a paleographic awareness is essential.

My heartfelt thanks to the colleagues for their responses (and to the List as a whole!).
Raffaele

**Cinque per mille <https://www.uniroma1.it/it/node/23149>*