[INDOLOGY] mythologies of the pearl

Reich, James David jreich at pace.edu
Thu Apr 25 12:56:39 UTC 2024

Dear Paola,

Various versions of the myths concerning the origins of pearl are found in the texts translated by Louis Finot in Les Lapidaires Indiens. https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.291975/mode/2up

There are various types of pearls described in these texts, some of them seemingly mythical or hypothetical—​oyster pearls are only one type​. The myths about oyster pearls usually have something to do with rainwater dropping into oysters but no lightning, as far as I'm aware. I do vaguely recall one text describing how to obtain pearls from nāgas, or check if a pearl is truly from a nāga, and as I recall that process does have something to do with lightning. But I don't think lightning is present in the formation of the pearl. Perhaps Eliade confused these stories?

Best,
James Reich