[INDOLOGY] Meaning of dot over numerals

Jean Michel DELIRE jeanmicheldelire at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 07:17:48 UTC 2024

Dear Harry,

In Indian astronomical and mathematical works, a dot over a numeral means
that this numeral is considered as negative.

Best,

*Jean Michel DELIRE*
*Lecturer on History of mathematics - IHEB (University of Brussels, ULB)*
*Lecturer on **Science and civilisation of India - Sanskrit Texts - IHEB
(ULB)*
*Member of the Centre National d'Histoire des Sciences (KBR, Bruxelles)*
*Member of the Société Asiatique (Paris)*
*Member of the International Association of Sanskrit Studies*