[INDOLOGY] On Devadāru Forest/lingam origin narratives...

Shubha Pathak pathak at american.edu
Mon Apr 1 00:34:35 UTC 2024

Dear Westin et al.,

Two relevant secondary sources with which to start, if you have not already done so, are Asceticism and Eroticism in the Mythology of Śiva by Wendy Doniger [O'Flaherty] and Śiva in the Forest of Pines: An Essay on Sorcery and Self-Knowledge by Don Handelman and David Shulman.  I discuss both books in my article "Shifting Śāstric Śiva: Co-operating Epic Mythology and Philosophy in India’s Classical Period,” International Journal of Hindu Studies 27, no. 2 (2023): 173–212 (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11407-022-09337-8).

Sincerely,
Shubha

–––
Shubha Pathak, PhD, PhD