[INDOLOGY] Fwd: [Samskrita] Siddhanta font rendering in Word broken after recent update

Jan Kučera jan.kucera at ujca.cz
Mon Sep 18 02:30:35 UTC 2023

Thank you,

I have now received a few files from Tim. I am trying to establish whether it’s Apple or Microsoft at fault here.

Historically there are two Indic layout systems that OpenType supports, with the second version, which everyone should be using now, introduced 15 years ago in 2008. Fonts can contain data for both at the same time. The fonts I received confirmed my suspicion that it’s the fonts that only support the first version and not the second that stopped working (i.e. they contain deva script tag but not dev2). That feels like a deliberate decision to drop support for the old Indic shaping and if I had to guess I would start with macOS here.
Let me see if I can find out more.

Thanks,
Jan