[INDOLOGY] Fwd: [Samskrita] Siddhanta font rendering in Word broken after recent update

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Sun Sep 17 20:09:16 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

I, too, and no doubt many others are having this or similar problems with various Unicode-compliant ttf/ttc and otf Devanāgarī fonts when used in Microsoft Office software.  This is a headache because I have numerous documents using Arial Unicode for the Devanāgarī, and now when I open them in Word, or paste text from them into Outlook, all the conjunct glyphs are decomposed with virama.  (Those fonts still work fine in other softwore, e.g., TextEdit, LibreOffice, etc.)

I have in fact posted to Microsoft discussion board about this, but I have received no useful guidance:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/microsoft-office-for-mac-has-stopped-displaying/ebd3fba8-edac-42e0-954b-cfcdc58679f8

I have compiled a list of fonts that DO still work for me in Word (and display properly in Outlook):

Baloo
Devanagari Sangam
Gotu
ITF Devanagari
Kohinoor Devanagari
Lava Devanagari
Mukta
Noto Sans Devanagari
October Devanagari
Sama Devanagari
Shobhika Devanagari
Tiro Devanagari Sanskrit (or Hindi)

The list of fonts that no longer work for me include such common ones as Arial Unicode MS and Sanskrit 2003/2020, along with several others.

Best,
Tim

Timothy Lubin
Jessie Ball duPont Professor of Religion, and Adjunct Professor of Law
Head of the Law, Justice, and Society Program
204 Tucker Hall
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, Virginia 24450
https://lubin.academic.wlu.edu/