[INDOLOGY] position of Professor of Cultural and Intellectual History of Pre-Modern South Asia, University of Vienna -- extension of application period

Karin.Preisendanz karin.preisendanz at univie.ac.at
Sun Sep 17 08:02:44 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

On July 5, 2023, I had informed you about the advertisement of the above
position at the University of Vienna.

At the request of one of you, I had also clarified that the currently
advertised position will continue, in a more broadly conceived form (see
the text of the advertisement) and under different formal and
administrative conditions due to the autonomy of the University of
Vienna (since 2004), the present Chair of Indology from which I will be
retiring by the end of this month.

The Dean's Office has now extended the application period to September
30, 2023. I am attaching the revised advertisement in English and
German.

As mentioned, the position will be one among four professorial positions
at the Department of South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies in the
following fields: Cultural and Intellectual History of Pre-Modern South
Asia, Languages and Cultures of Modern South and Inner Asia (full
professor, with a focus on Himalayan Studies and Modern South Asia;
negotiations are underway and we hope that the position will be filled
in the course of the academic year 2023/2024), Buddhist Studies
(Christopher Jones; assistant professor -- tenure track position from
October 1, 2023 onwards); and Tibetan Studies (Jim Rheingans; full
professor).

For further information on the Department, please refer to our website
at https://stb.univie.ac.at/. Most of the information is also found on
https://stb.univie.ac.at/en/.

Most recently, through our new appointees Jim Rheingans and Christopher
Jones the Department has become a member of the Cluster of Excellence
"Eurasian Transformations" funded by the FWF and directed by Claudia
Rapp at the Austrian Academy of Sciences; see
https://www.oeaw.ac.at/imafo/das-institut/detail/excellencecluster-eurasian-transformations.

Again, I very much encourage all qualified colleagues to apply for the
position, especially those among you who may have felt disencouraged by
the maximum "academic profile" formulated by the University in a
standard way for all professorial advertisements.

As said here before, in my eyes and experience over the last 25 years,
the Department is a wonderful academic environment with a perfect
constellation of professorial positions that is opening up the potential
of numerous synergies in research and teaching. The four positions are
augmented by a good number of post-doctoral and doctoral positions,
which will further increase after October 1 this year when the
implementation of the first half of the comprehensive generational
change at the Department will be effected step by step. For the current
list of staff, see https://stb.univie.ac.at/ueber-uns/mitarbeiterinnen/
and https://stb.univie.ac.at/en/about-us/staff/.

Please do not hesitate to write to me if you have any questions.

With many thanks for your renewed attention and interest in the
position,

Karin Preisendanz

--
Karin Preisendanz
Institut für Südasien-, Tibet- und Buddhismuskunde