[INDOLOGY] Whitney and doubling of "ch"

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 02:04:58 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

I want to thank Dominik for sharing this piece and add that the analysis can be extended to the rather closely related Oriya script. The Oriya character which is normally considered to represent "cha" is obviously, from a diachronic perspective, actually geminated "ccha". Just compare the standard printed "cha" as shown at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odia_script> with the various illustrations in Chakraborty et al. 2021.

I have not studied sufficient (Vedic and non-Vedic) manuscripts in Oriya script to know if any developments could be detected in the Oriya tradition itself between earlier and more recent manuscripts but I strongly suspect that if the manuscripts of the Paippalādasaṁhitā (PS) that I have studied tend to use that same geminated form for writing verbs like ଗଛତି, which should be transliterated gachati by contemporary norms, the scribes may well have intended gacchati. And this possibility increases the further one goes back in time in the written tradition.

For this reason, I think now that what I have written about "Initial and intervocalic ch" on pp. LIX–LX of my 2009 book<https://shs.hal.science/halshs-01917946/document> is to be revised. In short, I now think I was not sufficiently attuned to diachronic developments in script when I affirmed that the Oriya mss. of the PS tend to spell ch instead of expected cch.

From the case of the PS I extrapolate that the entire scholarly perception of "Vedic ch" may be skewed by facts such as these:

(a) the synchronic characteristics and palaeographic backgrounds of the scripts on which editions are based (starting from Müller's RV edition) are hardly represented in scholarship
(b) comparison is rarely made, if at all, with how non-Vedic Sanskrit manuscripts from the same regional writing traditions on which editions of Vedic texts were based.

I think the issue of "Vedic ḷ" (for intervocalic ḍ) must be reconsidered in the same light.

To explain, I imagine that, Max Müller and his successors in editing Vedic texts actually encountered the same spelling features in the mss. they used for editing the RV and other Vedic texts, as those that were found by other scholars working on classical Sanskrit texts from the same manuscript catchment areas, but that Vedic texts were edited with a lesser tendency to normalize manuscript spellings. And the result was that their editorial choices took a life of their own in subsequent Vedic scholarship as it got ever more detached in the course of the 20th century from the manuscript basis of the textual corpus to which this field of scholarship is devoted.

Or does one really not find intervocalic ळ and छ for expected ड and च्छ in classical Sanskrit manuscripts from the parts of Northwestern and Western India (notably Maharashtra) where 19th-c. Western scholars sourced their Vedic mss.?

I don't remember the details but I seem to recall that when I read Jürgen Hanneder's stimulating discussion of Max Müller's RV edition (in his book To edit or not to edit: On textual criticism of Sanskrit works, 2017), I found that considerations such as the above were not adequately addressed.

Arlo Griffiths