[INDOLOGY] Whitney and doubling of "ch"

Agnes Korn agnes.korn at cnrs.fr
Wed Oct 18 16:09:31 UTC 2023

Dear all,

If I remember correctly, there are different manuscriptal etc.
traditions as for the notation of "ch" or "cch / chch". As there is no
opposition of ch or cch, one can write one or the other. Whitney perhaps
chose "ch" for brevity.

As ch / cch / chch makes the syllable heavy (i.e. is treated like a
consonant group), a notation "cch / chch" is clearer than ch, but of
course the well-versed know that "ch" counts as a consonant group ;-)

Best wishes,
Agnes

--
Agnes Korn, PhD habil.
CNRS ; UMR 8041 Centre de recherche sur le monde iranien (CeRMI)

agnes.korn at cnrs.fr
https://cermi.cnrs.fr/membres/korn-agnes/