[INDOLOGY] Benares Sanskrit College Catalogue

Nariman Aavani narimanaavani at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 15:54:08 UTC 2023

Dear Jean Michel,

While ISMI has many merits, it unfortunately lacks substantial data
regarding South Asian collections. During my research on the reception of
Ṭūsī's logical and philosophical works in India, specifically *Asās
al-iqtibās* and *Tajrīd al-i‘tiqād*, I stumbled upon approximately fifty
copies of *Taḥrīr* scattered across different collections in the
Subcontinent. Given that it was not the primary focus of my research, I did
not systematically record the information each time I encountered a
manuscript. Nevertheless, I believe this may still be valuable to you.

*Khuda Bakhsh Oriental Library:*

   - Please refer to the Catalogue of Arabic Manuscripts at Khuda Bakhsh
   Oriental Library, vol. 22, page 28.
   - Manuscript call numbers: 2431-2432 [Images attached]

*Raja Mahmudabad Library:*

   - *A Catalogue of Arabic and Persian Manuscripts at Raja Mahmudabad
   Library, Lucknow* (Delhi: Iran Cultural House, 2001), pages 31-32,
   contains the following entries:
      1. *Taḥrīr uṣūl al-hindisah wa al-ḥisāb*: MS call number: Arabic: 646
      2. *Taḥrīr uṣūl al-hindisah wa al-ḥisāb*: MS call number: Arabic: 371
      3. *Taḥrīr uṣūl al-hindisah wa al-ḥisāb*: MS call number: Arabic:
      522/3

*Asafiyya Library:*

Please see *The Handlist of Arabic Manuscript at Asafiyya Library*, page,
301

1-    *Taḥrīr uqlīdis*: MS call number 1483

2-    *Sharḥ uqlīdis*: MS call number 1484 [might not be Ṭūsī’s *Taḥrīr*]

 *Mas’ood Jhandir Library:*

   - In Dr. Syeda Nikhat Firdous Kazmi's *A Catalogue of Manuscripts in
   Mas’odd Jhandi Library* (Islamabad: Institute of Persian Studies, 2005),
   page 13, you will find:
      1. *Taḥrīr uqlīdis*: MS call number: 2696
      2. *Taḥrīr-i uqlīdis* (Persian translation): MS call number: 804

*Ganjbakhsh Library:*

   - Notable manuscripts include:
      - *Uṣūl al-hindisah wa al-uqlīdis al-ṣūrī*: MS call number: 6587
      [Please note that this might not be Ṭūsī’s *Taḥrīr*]
      - *Uṣūl al-hindisah:* MS call number: 75
      - *Uṣūl al-hindisah wa al-ḥisāb*: MS call number: 9807
      - *Uṣūl al-hindisah wa al-ḥisāb*: MS call number: 785

*Rajasthan Maulana Abul-Kalam Azad Library:*

   - Refer to *A Hand List of the Arabic Manuscripts* by Sahibzadah
   Muhammad Abdul Moid Khan (Tonk: Rajasthan Maulana Abul-Kalam Azad Arabic
   Persian Research Institute, 2014), pages 98-99, for information on the
   following manuscripts:
      1. *Taḥrīr kitāb uqlīdis*: MS call number: 2150/1
      2. *Taḥrīr kitāb uqlīdis*: MS call number: 2150/2
      3. *Taḥrīr kitāb uqlīdis*: MS call number: 2153
      4. *Taḥrīr kitāb uqlīdis*: MS call number: 2154
      5. *Taḥrīr kitāb uqlīdis*: MS call number: 3106
      6. *Taḥrīr kitāb uqlīdis*: MS call number: 2693
      7. *Muntakhab al-taḥrīr* (Selections from *Taḥrīr*) by Ḥasan ‘Alī ibn
      Nawāzish ‘Alī al-Anṣārī al-Jawnpūrī (d. 1841), MS call number: 2171.

Best,

Nariman