[INDOLOGY] Question

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Wed Oct 11 10:27:51 UTC 2023

Dr. Deshpande,
I was consulting Swami AlokAnanda's translation of "AporakshAnubhuti" . Upanetra has been translated as spectacle or lenses, or any other aid for proper vision.Prefix "Upa" is used to denote a meaning which implies something which is the nearest approximation to the word which follows the prefix. A spectacle or lens is the nearest approximation to eye , but not eye proper Shankaracharya lived in 8th C. E. It need to be searched as to whether vision -aids were available in 8th CE India.RegardsAlakendu Das