[INDOLOGY] New book: Visions and Revisions in Sanskrit Narrative

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Thu Nov 23 01:15:55 UTC 2023

In her Foreword, Professor Doniger describes, "(an [older] approach that foolishly limited discussions to theological, philosophical and mythological matters). [emphasis mine] Now scholars look at these old texts through new lenses, asking about the relationship between economic and social classes, about racism, classism and sexism and about the role that Sanskrit texts did or did not play in the development of vernacular literatures.”

It must be equally foolish to go to an opposite extreme and ignore “theological, philosophical and mythological matters.” I accuse no one of doing so. I merely reflect that, logically, to minimize philosohy and theology in Sanskrit narrative would be itself a philosophical, and indeed a metaphysical, claim, even if an unconscious one.

Best wishes,
Howard