[INDOLOGY] Is Vr̥tra a brahmin?

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 04:28:22 UTC 2023

In Srimad Bhagavata Purana , in the 6th Skandha ,

https://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_purana/bhagpur-06.html

in the seventh Adhyaya upto the 13th Adhyaya ,

there is another version of the Indra Vritra story.

It is considered to be one of the 'key elements' of Bhagavata Purana.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 11:30 PM Tieken, H.J.H. (Herman) via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Many thanks to Péter Száler, Vitus Angermeier and Hans Henrich Hock for
> the information on Vr̥tra as a brahmin. I will read MBh 12, 270 ff again;
> terms like *aiśvarya *(*aiśvaryaṃ tapasā prāptaṃ bhraṣṭam tacca
> svakarmabhiḥ*) and *jaya *(*mayā jayalabdena purā taptaṃ mahattapaḥ*, cp *ajeyaḥ
> sarvabhūtānām āsaṃ nityam apetabhīḥ*), found there, seem to mean
> something else than what I thought.
> Herman
>
> Herman Tieken
> Stationsweg 58
> 2515 BP Den Haag
> The Netherlands
> 00 31 (0)70 2208127
> website: hermantieken.com
>
> *The Aśoka Inscriptions: Analysing a corpus*, New Delhi: Primus Books,
> 2023.
>
> https://primusbooks.com/ancient/the-asoka-inscriptions-analysing-a-corpus-by-herman-tieken/
>

> ------------------------------

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.