[INDOLOGY] Conference "Yoga and Islamic Societies" – revised schedule and link

Andrea Acri andrea.acri at ephe.psl.eu
Mon Nov 6 22:47:51 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

due to a high number of requests, I am reposting here, also on behalf of Fabrizio Speziale, the (revised) schedule of the conference “Yoga and Muslim Societies: Transregional Perspectives”, which will take place in Marseille on 8 and 9 November—this time including the Zoom link for remote attendance of the entire event (no registration is required).

Yoga and Muslim Societies: Transregional Perspectives
The Seventh Perso-Indica Conference

Organized by Fabrizio Speziale (EHESS) and Andrea Acri (EPHE)

EHESS, Marseille, 8th and 9th November 2023

 Program and Panels

 Wednesday November 8th, 14:00-18:30

 14:00-15:30 - Texts and Practices in Persianate South Asia (I)

 Jason Birch (SOAS, London), “Textual and Postural Exchanges between Yogis and Sufis”   (online)

James Mallinson (SOAS, London), “Inverted physical postures in premodern Hindu and Muslim religious practice”

 15:30-16:00 Coffee break

 16:00-18:00 - Texts and Practices in Persianate South Asia (II)

 Carl W. Ernst (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill), “Who are the Siddha Jogis in Muhammad Ghawth’s Bahr al-hayat?”  (online)

 Jean Arzoumanov (University of Chicago, Chicago), “‘A chain of jōgīs’: Persian descriptions of Yogis from the Mughal to the Colonial period”

 Torsten Tschacher (Heidelberg University, Heidelberg), Speaking the Lord in the Tongueless Lotus: Yogic Anthropology in Tamil Islamic Poetry

 Discussion: 18:00-18:30

 Thursday November 9th, 9:00-18:30

 9:00-10:30 - Ethnography of Yoga in Modern Java and Bali (I)

Annette Hornbacher (Heidelberg University, Heidelberg), “Yoga reloaded: from esoteric practice to sports. Ethnographic glimpses of yoga in the Indonesian state”

 Patrick Vanhoebroek (Independent scholar), “Yoga among contemporary Muslim practitioners: Topo Broto, Lelono Broto & the various austerity fasts comprised under the Tarak Broto”  (online)

 10:30-11:00 - Coffee break

 11:00-12:30 - Yogis and Sufis in Bengal (I)

 Carola Erika Lorea (Universität Tübingen), “Samājer cāp and shared Bengali songs: Discussing techniques of the yogic body under the pressure of majoritarian religiosities”

 Lubomír Ondračka (Charles University, Prague), “The Middle Bengali Ādyaparicaẏaby the Sufi Śekh Jāhid: a text on Tantric Yoga”

 12:30-14:00: Lunch

 14:00-14:45 - Yogis and Sufis in Bengal (II)

 Ayesha Irani (University of Massachusetts Boston), “Yoga for the Bengali Darveś: Prescriptions of the Jñāna Pradīpa, a Seventeenth-Century Sufi Practice Manual” (online)

 14:45-15:30 - Yogis and Yoga in Central Asia and Turkey (I)

 Xavier Hermand (Independent scholar), “Ratan Baba: a Yogi figure of the Afghan trade”

 15:30-16:00 - Coffee break

 16:00-17:30 - Yogis and Yoga in Central Asia and Turkey (II)

Chander Shekhar (Delhi University, New Delhi), “Yoga: A Healer and a Bridge between Indic and Islamic cultures in Uzbekistan”  (online)

 Alexandre Toumarkine (INaLCO, Paris), “Does Yoga in contemporary Turkey have anything to do with religion?”

 17:30-18:00 - General discussion

 Venue: École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales/School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences, Centre de la Vieille Charité, salle A (2nd floor), 2 rue de la Charité, 13002 Marseille.  Contacts: Fabrizio Speziale (fabrizio.speziale at ehess.fr), Andrea Acri (andrea.acri at ephe.psl.eu).

With the collaboration of Raffaello de Leon-Jones Diani (EHESS)and Lingli Li (EHESS - University of Göttingen).

Zoom link:
https://zoom.us/j/8806754004?pwd=MEF0aithclUwZjEzR0g4WjRWT0drdz09

ID de réunion: 880 675 4004
Code secret: 542790