[INDOLOGY] Alf Hiltebeitel 1942-2023

Fitzgerald, James james_fitzgerald at brown.edu
Tue Mar 14 22:22:59 UTC 2023

Very sad news indeed! The world is now a smaller place. Alf was an
extraordinary figure in the study of the Mahābharata and Indian epics more
generally, and he was a good friend for almost fifty years. We met in Pune
in 1974 and began a *saṃvāda* that continued for more than forty years. We
disagreed often enough, but we agreed even more often. I have missed him
since his last visit to Brown, after which communication became more
difficult, but I am indeed grateful for all the time we had to talk before
then. May he rest in peace.

Jim Fitzgerald