[INDOLOGY] CORRECTION: Important point about online manuscripts

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 23:27:14 UTC 2023

Jonathan Silk brought up an important point about on-line manuscripts when
he showed how spelling affects whether an online manuscript is found or
not. Of course his example "Bauddha Gamartha Samgraha" showed how a title
prevented finding a manuscript.  But those of us who work in putting
manuscripts on-line do so, not just so they'll be found by members of lists
we make announcements to, but hopefully that they may be found many years
in the future, so to me the question is how do we title on-line manuscripts
and what metadata do we associate with them so they will be found in
searchs (perhaps decades in the future)..

For example picking a manuscript title at random *aṃśumatkāśyapāgama* .
Should the file name be the exact title in IAST i.e*. *
*aṃśumatkāśyapāgama.txt*
Should the file name be the exact title but without diacriticals i.e*. *
*amsumatkasyapagama.txt*
Does header data within the text file and written at its beginning such as
exact title or alternate title affect whether it is found in searchs?
Should the file have metadata? I.e. should the text file have an html or
xml wrapper with metadata of its title in HK, Velthuis, devanagari? And in
this case its alternate title aṃśumadāgama .?
Are there other ways that will help the etext to be found even if the
search itself is mispelled?

Note: I'm asking these questions not in the context of "best manuscript
transcription practices" but just in what will help an etext be found in
google searchs. Does Google even say anything about how to maximize this?
Thanks,
Harry Spier