[INDOLOGY] Euthyphro and Brahma Sutra 2.1.34

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Mon Jul 10 20:23:30 UTC 2023

Dear Howard,

It's not the on Bhagavad Gītā, but in an article from 2016 I discussed BS
2.1.34 (*vaiṣamyanairghṛṇye* *na sāpekṣatvāt tathā hi darśayati*), and
suggested that questions of God's dependence (*sāpekṣatva*) on karma can be
read as an Indian analogue of the Euthyphro dilemma:

https://www.academia.edu/22481929/Hindu_Disproofs_of_God_Refuting_Vedantic_Theism_in_the_Samkhya_Sutra

I followed up on this theme in another article where I compared three
commentaries (by Śaṅkara, Rāmānuja, and Baladeva) on the Brahma Sūtras that
struggle with this and other questions about god's ethical and creative
independence:

https://www.academia.edu/44135134/Making_Space_for_God_Karma_Freedom_and_Devotion_in_the_Brahmas%C5%ABtra_Commentaries_of_%C5%9Aa%E1%B9%85kara_R%C4%81m%C4%81nuja_and_Baladeva

Best,
Andrew

*Andrew J. Nicholson, Ph.D. *(he/him)
Associate Professor, Asian and Asian American Studies
Director, Minor in South Asian Studies
<https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/asianamerican/programs/Program_SouthAsia.php>
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5343  USA