[INDOLOGY] Reading recommendations on Vedāntic Śānti Mantras?

Tyler Neill tyler.g.neill at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 22:17:27 UTC 2023

Dear fellow denizens of the list,

As I'm no expert on Vedānta, I'm having trouble contextualizing
so-called Śānti Mantras (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanti_Mantras) as
found in Vedāntic material. I'd be interested in good-quality philological
studies on the subject. Can anyone recommend anything?

For context, I'm cataloging a library manuscript item which consists of
these mantras, plus verses on lineage (*saṃpradāya*), very similar to this
modern item on Internet Archive
<https://archive.org/details/DashaShantiMantra/mode/2up>, or this somewhat
older book also found there
<https://ia803101.us.archive.org/13/items/dashshantimantraswithhindi/Dash%20Shanti%20Mantra.pdf>,
and I was curious about how to go about ascribing individual mantras to
source texts, or whether this is even the right way to think about it. It
seems that at least some of the mantras do recur across Upaniṣads, at least
as found in print editions, so maybe there is no definitive answer. But I'm
curious to see what others have said.

Kind regards,
Tyler