[INDOLOGY] Fwd: The Kuppuswami Sastri Research Institute, Chennai, affected by recent cyclone

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Tue Dec 26 09:34:42 UTC 2023

Début du message réexpédié :

Dear Sir/ Madam,        25/13/2023

Greetings. We are aware of the great loss caused by the recent heavy rains and cyclones affecting the lives of the citizens of Chennai. The Kuppuswami  Sastri Research Institute, situated inside the premises of Madras Sanskrit College, Mylapore, Chennai, has been a world-renowned institution in the field of Sanskritic and Indological Studies for the past 75 years. Besides carrying out high-class research, it has been helping scholars and the public through various activities like the publication of books, journals, and monographs, conducting seminars, conferences, and workshops on different subjects like arts, architecture, science, Yoga, religion, philosophy, literature, and language, and holding periodical lectures on various topics. Being affiliated with the University of Madrassincem 1983, it has produced about 70 M.Phil. / Ph.D. scholars, in addition to helping hundreds of scholars from different countries.
One of the most important activities of the Institute is maintaining and preserving valuable ancient books and ancient palm leaf manuscripts in its library. The library consists of 65,000 rare books and 1300 ancient palm leaf manuscripts and is one of the best of its kind in the world.
Due to recent rains, the institute (and the Madras Sanskrit College) was inundated with water for four days and the water had entered the ground floor of the institute, affecting hundreds of books and journals and a lot of furniture too. Such a calamity has never happened before in the history of the institute or the Madras Sanskrit College (Which was established in 1906).
Under the expert supervision of the officials from the archives and Connemara  Library and Tanjore  Saraswathi Mahal Library, we are trying our level best to retrieve the books/journals that were soaked in the water for four days. This is a very cumbersome process that requires not only great patience and expertise but also considerable money. The institute does not receive any grants from the Central or State governments and has been thriving on the contributions from some philanthropists and corporate sectors.
 It is estimated that around Rupees One Crore would be required (Rs. 1,00, 00,000/-) for mending the books, purchasing furniture including almirahs to keep books/journals, electrical works, purchase of new Personal Computers, Laptops, Digital Camera (to record lectures) and so on.
We earnestly appeal to your good self to kindly extend generous financial assistance to our Research Institute at this critical juncture which will help us in a long way in preserving ancient and rare books and manuscripts for posterity.
Donations to our Research Institute are 100% exempt from Income Tax under section 35(i)(iii) of the Income Tax Act. Cheques / DDs may be in favour of “The Kuppuswami Sastri Research Institute”, For online remittance, our bank detailsare given below.
Bank Details
Name:  The Kuppuswami Sastri Research Institute,
           Bank:  Union Bank of India, Mylapore branch,
SB A/C No: 395702010007408
IFSC: UBIN0539571

Yours faithfully,
Dr. Sita SundarRam
      Secretary

For any more details, kindly contact us at:
The Kuppuswami Sastri Research Institute,
84, Thiru. Vi. Ka. Road,
Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.
Email id: ksrinst at gmail.com<mailto:ksrinst at gmail.com>
Website: www.ksri.in<http://www.ksri.in/>; www.ksri.co.in<http://www.ksri.co.in/>