[INDOLOGY] the meaning of Daśaharā

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Wed Dec 20 11:25:54 UTC 2023

Dear Asko,

thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, I have come across the explanation that the term daśaharā comes
from the words daśa + ahan. This is stated, for example, by Kane in his
History of Dharmaśāstra (but there he explains the Hindi word dasarā,
vol. 5.1, p. 194). I think that due to Kane's authority, many others
then adopt it (without quoting him).

I am not a linguist, but I do not see how daśaharā could be derived from
daśāha-. All the NIA dictionaries I have looked at (including Turner)
derive this word from daśa + √hṛ. Moreover, the summer Daśaharā is not a
"ten-day period" but a "tenth tithi".

I see that in several of your publications you derive the Hindi word
daśahrā from the unattested *daśāharaka. I do not know whether this is
linguistically possible, and whether it is necessary when we have a
well-documented Sanskrit name for the festival, Daśaharā.

But even if we allow for the possibility that the word for autumn
Daśaharā has a different linguistic origin than the summer Daśaharā, the
question still remains, how is the autumn Daśaharā explained? We have a
beautiful nirvacana for that summer festival (harate daśa pāpāni tasmād
daśaharā smṛtā), but is there something similar for the autumn one?

So I am still puzzled as to what the word means.

All the best,
Lubomir