[INDOLOGY] yāvantaḥ kiyantaḥ

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 19:37:13 UTC 2023

As almost always, Monier-Williams’ entries provide English translations of
the German entries in Böhtlingk's dictionary (cp. R. Steiner, „Woher hat er
das? Zum Charakter des *Sanskrit-English Dictionary *von Monier-Williams.“ ZDMG
170 (2020): 107ff.). In order to understand what MW's "*as many as*" was
supposed to mean, we have to ask (with Steiner): “Where did he get that
from?”. The answer is to be found in the German meaning of Böhtlingk’s
dictionary:

"*yā́vantaḥ kíyantaḥ* [=] wie viele immer" (PW and pw).
German "*wie viele immer*" corresponds to "*wie viele auch immer*", and
this is the exact equivalent of "*however many*".

Regards,
WS