[INDOLOGY] yāvantaḥ kiyantaḥ

Tieken, H.J.H. (Herman) H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Dec 14 17:31:31 UTC 2023

Dear list members,

In the Āyāraṃgasutta a phrase is found corresponding to Skt yāvantaḥ kiyantaḥ. MW gives as its meaning "as many as". I am not a native speaker of English, but as far as I know this phrase is specifically used with numbers ("as many as a hundred people ...). In the passage concerned there is no number. It functions as a subject to either a verb meaning "they commit violence" or nouns/adjectives like araṃbhajīvī and pariggahāvaṃtī.
MW refers to TBr, without, however, a place or an example.
I hope someone on the list can provide me with an (or the) example from the TBr or any other text.

With kind regards, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag
The Netherlands
00 31 (0)70 2208127
website: hermantieken.com<http://hermantieken.com/>

The Aśoka Inscriptions: Analysing a corpus, New Delhi: Primus Books, 2023.
https://primusbooks.com/ancient/the-asoka-inscriptions-analysing-a-corpus-by-herman-tieken/