[INDOLOGY] Query about the misuse of CC-licensed articles

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 15:39:40 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

A friend of mine is exploring the issues around flipping his academic
journal to Open Access, Creative Commons licensing.  He asked me a good
question:

If I understand Creative Commons correctly, even under the most restrictive
license, anyone can reuse an article as they see fit provided they don’t
profit from it or alter it. This does sort of have me imagining scenarios
in which (say) an article on Alexander the Great ends up on a Greek or
Macedonian nationalist web site that the author (or their employer)
strongly disagrees with.

Have you ever had one of your articles copied and hosted on a website you
didn't like?  Was there anything you could do about it?

Best,
Dominik

--
Prof. Dominik Wujastyk