[INDOLOGY] "Old India"?

Yang Qu yang.qu777 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 16:18:23 UTC 2023

Dear Professors and Colleagues,

I hope all is well. I am delving into research centered around the concept
of "Old India" and the notion of national rejuvenation. My focus is
primarily on exploring how India has been historically depicted in texts or
scholarship, specifically during the early Indological or colonial period
extending to the 20th century. I am particularly interested in any
references where India is personified as an 'Old Man' or through similar
imagery.

Additionally, I'm also curious to see if any of these texts or studies draw
parallels or contrasts with China, possibly in the context of late Qing
revolutionary Liang Qichao's discourse on a 'Young China.'

While I am familiar with Lajpat Rai's 'Young India', I am keen to expand my
sources and would greatly appreciate any recommendations for further
reading or pertinent sources in this area.

Thank you so much!

best wishes,
Yang Qu