[INDOLOGY] Heggarty et al. 2023, "Language trees with sampled ancestors support a hybrid model for the origin of Indo-European languages" - reactions?

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 25 05:00:36 UTC 2023

I’m not adding anything new or enlightening to the current discussion, but I just wanted to share my frustration that the notion of ‘unification’ or the ‘father/mother’ of this language and that language is all ‘farce,’ if I may say so.

In Tamil Nadu, the situation is not pleasant, to put it mildly. To begin with, ‘language' is always associated with race and caste. If one likes Sanskrit, that person must be a ‘brahmin’ who must be an ‘enemy’ (தமிழ்த் துரோகி). I don’t have graceful words to express such animalistic attitudes. It causes a problem for academicians like me. For starters, I need to be careful not to use Grantha letters or Sanskrit words in my writing. There are several ‘language vigilantes.’ They republish old writings, by brahmins/non-brahmins, removing/masking the authors' caste names, grantha letters, and such.

Anyway, in my view … no race or language can be “pure.”

Regards,
rajam