[INDOLOGY] The Trigartas

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Thu Aug 24 22:02:28 UTC 2023

Dear Scholars,

Some claim that the Trigartas, a warrior community who appear somewhat regularly in the Mahābhārata, are first mentioned in Pāninī 5.3.116 dāmanyāditrigartaṣaṣṭācchaḥ  दामन्यादित्रिगर्तषष्ठाच्छः

Further, in his entry on āyudha, ‘weapon,’ Monier-Williams lists the compounds āyudha-jīvin, “living by one’s weapons,” and āyudha-jīvī, m. “a warrior.” He attributes this latter case to Pāṇini 4.3.81, which I could not find. To make my confusion complete, some say that this term āyudha-jīvī, allegedly in Pāṇini, refers to the Trigartas.

Many thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Best wishes,
Howard