[INDOLOGY] Heggarty et al. 2023, "Language trees with sampled ancestors support a hybrid model for the origin of Indo-European languages" - reactions?

Martin Joachim Kümmel martin-joachim.kuemmel at uni-jena.de
Thu Aug 24 07:02:11 UTC 2023

While there is still a slight possibility that the Anatolian horse words might not be inherited (until we find attestations of Hittite *ekku-), it is clear that horses must have been known to speakers of PIE but the linguistic evidence is not sufficient to be sure of domestication in the protolanguage itself.
For me as one author of the study, the biggest problem has remained the surprisingly early date for the divergence of Indo-Iranic but it should not be forgotten that the median age (5520 B. P.) highlighted in the article is just one possibility, and the range of probable dates (HPD) is much larger, from 4535-6796. Assuming the beginning of first dialectal differences (and this is what this approach models) around 2600 BC could agree with a final splitup around 2000 so that cultural innovations like the chariot could be (or look like) inherited in all subbranches.
I admit that I also suspect there might be a systematic problem in the methodology applied to ancient languages, possibly leading to exaggerated estimations of vocabulary differences but this needs to be worked out in detail – now that we have a much better database. And of course, the results should be cross-checked with data from other linguistic levels, not just lexicon where the danger of undetected borrowings is highest.
I hope the new study will help to find possible problems in phylogenetic modelling not simply due to bad data.

All best wishes,
Martin