[INDOLOGY] Kunti kingdom

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Fri Aug 11 22:25:58 UTC 2023

Dear Scholars,

I am trying to understand more precisely, if possible, the location of the ancient Mahabharata kingdom of Kunti. My present understanding is that it formed more or less the southern area of the loose confederation of Yadu principalities, with the main city being Mathurā.

Very roughly, it seems that the Kunti kingdom lay between Mathura to the north, and the Avanti capital to the south (sometimes identified with modern Ujjain).

I cannot even find a name for a Kunti capital, much less a precise location.

All help is warmly appreciated.

Howard