[INDOLOGY] [SARI-L] [EXT]publication of Sūtras of Jaiminīya Sāmaveda with commentaries

Asko Parpola aparpola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 10:43:36 UTC 2023

Thank you, Christophe, for drawing attention to this new publication with an introduction written by myself. This was news to me too.

I indeed wrote an introduction to an edition which I planned to propose to an Indian publisher: the reprint was to include both Caland’s edition of the Jaiminiiya-Sa.mhitaa of 1907 and Raghu Viras’s edition of 1938.  This introduction was written some 40 years ago and, if I remember correctly, was never formally part of any publication agreement. How it came to the hands of the present publishers I do not know, but I do object to its publication (1) after the delay of some 40 years (2) without informing me about it and (3) without reprinting also Caland’s 1907 edition as proposed in the introduction.

Nevertheless, Raghu Vira’s edition of the Jaiminiiya Aarcikas is an excellent and indispensable publication, and it is good to have it in print.

Best wishes, Asko

Asko Parpola
https//www.helsinki.academia <http://www.helsinki.academia/>.edu/AskoParpola