[INDOLOGY] a statement about respectable women

Shubham Arora shubhamkrishnalalit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 01:05:45 UTC 2023

(Apologies to mods, I replied with the wrong email address originally. Hopefully this goes through properly)

Hi Gaia and list members,

You might be interested in checking out the fourth book of the Kāmasūtra, titled “bhāryādhikārika or Wives.” The first chapter of this book discusses a wife’s lifestyle and her household duties. In particular:
paścāt saṃveśanaṃ pūrvam utthānam anavabodhanaṃ ca suptasya [KS 4.1.17].
“she lies down after him, gets up before him, and never wakes him up when he is asleep” (Doniger and Kakar 2002: 95).
The following section talks about her conduct during her husband’s absence. Hope this helps.

All best,
Shubham

—
Shubham Arora
Doctoral Candidate
Dept. of Asian Studies | University of British Columbia