[INDOLOGY] Academia.edu creepy things

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 21:37:54 UTC 2023

That's quite suspicious.  Perhaps Kaul had a burst of online business and
posted to INDOLOGY and *at the same time* uploaded the review to Academia,
which triggered your notification.  We can't tell from Academia when papers
are uploaded, but the review has 317 views, which suggests it was uploaded
a while ago, not recently.  So that explanation is probably wrong.

How could Academia possibly be getting information about your incoming
emails?  What mechanism can we imagine?  Emails don't deposit cookies, so
cross-site cookies aren't the pathway.  If Academia is harvesting from the
INDOLOGY archive, which is technically possible, then *everyone* would get
the Kaul notification or similar ones, not just you.  It's hard to see how
this might work.  Without a plausible mechanism, I'm staying with
coincidence.

But I have all my Academia notifications turned off, so I never get
anything from them.  If I want to know their stuff, I look at the website.

Best,
Dominik