[INDOLOGY] Tantrapāla

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 07:40:17 UTC 2022

I wonder if anyone knowledgeable about (north)western India around the
13th century might have an idea about how the epithet tantrapāla should
be understood in that context? I am looking at these two verses from an
astrological text:

kasya samīpe candro ravimuthaśilage nṛpatipārśve |
śaninā ca muthaśile ’smin nīcānām ijyamuthaśile ca satām ||
śukreṇa ca yuvatīnāṃ jñena vyavahāripaṇḍitānāṃ ca |
bhaumena <ca> śatrūṇāṃ krūreśānāṃ ca tantrapālānām ||

'In whose company is the moon? If it forms a /muthaśila /[Ar.
/muttaṣil/, applying aspect] with the sun, [the querent travels] at the
side of the king; if it has a /muthaśila /with Saturn, [at the side] of
low people, and if a /muthaśila /with Jupiter, of good people; with
Venus, of women; with Mercury, with merchants and scholars; with Mars,
of his enemies, cruel lords and /tantrapālas/.'

The standard dictionaries failling me, I did a simple web search, which
turned up some suggestions; but the present context seems to call for
something more warlike, violent and/or sinister than just 'high
official' or 'secretary of council'.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Martin Gansten