[INDOLOGY] Premodern Indian libraries and archives

Christian Ferstl christian.ferstl at univie.ac.at
Wed Feb 2 07:41:56 UTC 2022

There is even more on the topic,
which I could collect thanks to the references provided by Hartmut
Buescher, Jinesh Sheth, and Richard Salomon:

An illustrated two volume publication by
Hartmut Buescher, Catalogue of Sanskrit Manuscripts: The Paṇḍit
Collection, Copenhagen 2019;

another book by
A.K. Mukherjee, Librarianship: its Philosophy and History, London 1966.

remarks on (hypothetical) libraries in Buddhist Gandhara by Richard G.
Salomon in his book
Ancient Buddhist Scrolls from Gandhara, 1999;

a paper on traditional Jain libraries:
John E. Cort, The Jain Knowledge Warehouses: Traditional Libraries in
India, in: Journal of the American Oriental Society 115/1 (1995):
p.77-87.

two papers on a Digambara Manuscript Repository in Jaipur:
Ulrich Timme Kragh and Abhishek Jain, A Preliminary Study on the Indian
Grammar Manuscripts of the Āmer Śāstrabhaṇḍār in Jaipur, in: Przegląd
Orientalistyczny 1 (2019): 3-21;

Ulrich Timme Kragh, "Localized Literary History: Sub-Text and Cultural
Heritage in the Amer Sastrabhandar, A Digambara Manuscript Repository in
Jaipur", in:  International Journal of Jaina Studies (Online) Vol. 9,
No. 3 (2013) 1-53;

and
Dominik Wujastyk, "La bibliothèque de Thanjavur", in: Espaces et
Communautes, ed. Christian Jacob, Paris 2007
(https://www.academia.edu/209091/La_biblioth%C3%A8que_de_Thanjavur);

Best,
Christian