[INDOLOGY] Information about gaviṣṭi

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 19:08:26 UTC 2022

Searching the copy of the archives I made this is what I found:

From: camillo.formigatti at bodleian.ox.ac.uk (Camillo Formigatti)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 20 17:04:41 +0000
Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[INDOLOGY]_G=C4=81yatr=C4=AB_and_Scifi?=
LO2P265MB03045F9EBAF2374F8C00761C8EC20 at LO2P265MB0304.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

Strictly speaking, as Antonia pointed out already, yuddha and yudh mean
both "battle" and not "war", unless we'd like to take them as a synecdoche,
so I don't think they apply in the case of the scene in Arrival. When I
watched it, my first impression of the scene in which the linguist Louise
Banks says that gavisti means desire for cows was that she was trying to
make precisely the point that Antonia made in her tweet. I don't think the
meaning of the whole scene is that if you know the Sanskrit word for war
you are a better linguist, it is more about how you should think about
language. On the other hand, I might be reading too much into it.
Sincerely yours,
Simon Moon

Harry Spier